The brand logo of MJK Events.
Let’s Start Planning

Marriage License Tips

March 24, 2022
By Jeryse Kelly

So you are engaged and happily planning your wedding. When is the best time to get your marriage license? Where do you go to receive your license? What do you need to bring with you to get your license?

So many questions and I have answers for you. Let's chat through the steps.

Where do you go to receive your license?

You need to go to your county clerk house with your ID paperwork in hand to request and receive a marriage license. If you are in Arizona, use this link to find a Justice Court closest to you -

When is the best time to get your marriage license?

As with most things, the earlier the better (6 months), however, you can wait until 1 week prior to your ceremony date to go to the county clerk house to request a license. It is possible to receive your license and marry in the courthouse that same day. Check my blog - Can you hold a Micro/Mini/Elopement Wedding at a Courthouse?

What do you need to bring with you to get your license?

Both of you will need to bring proof of your age and who you are. If you are under 18, you will need to bring a parent to grant permission allowing you to get married or a copy of your Emancipation Order. If this isn't your first marriage, you will need to bring a copy of the divorce or death certificate.

How much does the marriage license cost?

The fee for a marriage license is $83.00. You will need to pay cash or money order, debit card or credit card.

If you are purchasing a license at the Justice Courts, only money orders are accepted. After the bottom portion of the license has been returned and recorded to the courthouse, a certified copy of the license can be requested and mailed to you for an additional $37.50. You can pay for this when you are getting your marriage license. You could save yourself $7.00 and use your own business-size, self-addressed stamped envelope.

Who sends in the marriage license?

Typically your officiant facilitates the signing of the license and turning in the bottom portion of the license. If your officiant doesn't do this and you have a wedding planner, your planner will take of it for you.

As a reminder, every state and every county has different requirements. The information above is more specific to Maricopa County, Arizona. When you have more questions or would like to have an advocate assisting you through this planning process, contact me and I can assist you.

Social Share: 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow us on
Copyright © 2024 | MJK Events
crosschevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram